Spoon & Ball Race
Chicken Run Race
Water Balloon Toss
What you will need for the ultimate family picnic party:
burlap sacks (easily found on Craigslist)
bamboo sticks (or any kind of long sticks or jump rope)
face paint supplies
4 cones (for making start and finish lines)
Set up station for face painting, it will be an ongoing activity throughout the picnic. If it is clearly marked, children will flock to it.
Lay out rope and set up cones marking the start and finish for the relay activities. Lay out burlap sacks ( I had 6 laid out next to each other between the cones). Have all remaining supplies ready in a box next to the cones.
Order of events:
1. Face painting is an ongoing activity, set up on the side.
2. Invite some loitering kids to start the tug of war, as soon as they get pulled in, others will notice and start gathering around the gaming site.
3. Play tug of war. Variations included, boys vs. girls, parents vs. kids, staff vs. parents, etc.
4. Invite group to do the sack race. Demonstrate what the task is and then encourage others. After you do first run, do variations such as younger kids, older kids, parents, all girls, all boys, etc. Award prizes to winners and give candy to all participants.
6. At this point you may want to take a break. We did some raffle prizes here. Or you can continue to the next game.
These games were a blast, and plenty of fun that lasted for at least 3 hours. Looking forward to more family picnics!
*I would post pictures from the actual event, but because of client confidentiality, I will refrain.